Friday, June 10, 2011

Haiti-Day Six

Yesterday was an interesting day. When I woke up in the morning I was just feeling a bit off. My stomach was hurting and I just felt a little achey all over. I got up and got ready, eating a little breakfast, and headed out for the day. I knew that I had two things to do that day. I was helping to teach an embrodiary class (I was teaching cross stitching to the ladies this day) and also we were supposed to do our skit we had done earlier in the week for the ladies in the prenatal program. I really was ready to get the day started.

Dwan and I decided to ride on the back of Renald's four wheeler over to the sewing center. Now I had been doing this all week and had not gotten wet, but today Renald was not so careful and I had one side of my pant legs that was literally caked with mud. I had to give him a hard time about it, but I also tried to be a good sport. I heard John saying that was why he never rode with him. I was like thanks for that information now. LOL If I had been home it would of been more tramuatic I think and I would of wanted to go back and change. However, when I got in the sewing center I just went in the restroom and washed out my pants. Thankfully all of the mud came out and then I was just cold and wet. That was better than being mud covered though.

I still was not feeling great, but I managed to teach the lady cross stitching. Sue and I decided that the next time we came we would send down some Aida cloth and some cross stitching supplies. Perhaps I will send some down with one of the ladies who is a midwife here and will be coming to the States soon. I just need to see about gathering up some supplies. Anyway, after I showed them how to do the cross stitching several of them begin to add these to the towels they started the day before. There is one lady in there who does great hand work and I am really praying that she gets into their sewing program. After our class we took several pictures of the ladies and their work.

Teaching the class was just really special for both Sue and I. We pulled out our work as well and as the ladies were working so were we. I think it is always special to share something like that with people of a different culture. It just reminds you that at the core level we really are the same. It was fun to sit there and listen to them chattering and laughing. I made the comment to Sue that this was how handi work should be done. It was my pleasure to be allowed to fellowship with the women in this way.

I was still feeling pretty rough at this point in the day though. I think I was feeling worse instead of better. Renald came over to walk us back to the Harbor House for lunch, after Sue and Kay picked out some purses for their purse party. It was hot and muggy in the store and by this point I was feeling worse and worse. We finally made it back to the guest house, but I did not want anything to eat. Karen encouraged me to eat a little rice, so I did so. I also drank part of a 7-Up. I was still planning on powering through but I must of looked really bad because the ladies told me to just stay put and rest.

I settled in on the porch and took a few naps. I kept having cold chills while sitting on a hot porch with a little breeze. I knew I had a little bit of a fever. After sleeping on and off for a little while, John came back and asked if I wanted to go back to the guest house. While I felt bad about doing so I knew I needed to. Sharon came back with me and helped me carry my back pack and got me some ice water. I settled in for a nap and I was told I did not even move for several hours. After I got up I felt much better. I was told I still looked a little puney though. I just drank a lot of water and ate light (mashed potatoes and some bread). I also ate a little sugar cane last night. It was really good and fresh. After a little time of fellowship I went to bed.

Today is our last full day here and I fly out early Saturday morning. I will be glad to see my children and my husband, but sad to leave this place. I could easily call here home one day. I do love Haiti and its people.

No comments:

Post a Comment