Sunday, June 5, 2011

News from Haiti-An Emotional Landing

Yesterday morning I landed in Haiti. It was the first time I had been back since my boys got home. My heart literally broke for the people as I was flying in and landing. I could see some of the tent cities from m airplane window. It was raining as we landed, and all I could think of was that God was crying with me as I wept for Haiti. This land holds such a mixture of memories for me, both happy and sad. I will always ache to come here and to help in whatever little ways I can. This is the land that my boys came from, but this is also the land where horrible acts were perpetrated on them. I can feel both a strong dislike and a strong sense of compassion all at once for these people. They hurt my children and that is just totally unacceptable and the mama bear part of me would just like for them to hurt as bad. However, I stop and think for just a moment about wait this is Haiti. These people probably had the same things done to them or worse, and how sad it is that any child has to live to grow up like that. It is just all so unjust at times. I mean in the same way that moving my boys zip code I increased their life span by thirty or so years. And why do we who live in such abudnance just 100 or so miles away, why can't we do something to stop this cycle. Being here in this country I love is so hard. My heart aches to do something more, to do anything more. However I feel so small compared to the big problems they face here. It can become overwhelming. But until I figure out the big thing I can do, I will do these small steps that are just drops in the bucket of the problem. It is better than doing nothing, or showing indifference. So Haiti here I am and waiting on God to show up in ways that only He can.

No comments:

Post a Comment