Sunday, June 12, 2011

Haiti-Leaving Day

Oh at dinner the night before last Forrest stood up and said he wanted to tell another joke. We were all like "Really another one" since his first one none of us got. So he told us about a woman and a man getting on an airplane during the time when you could still smoke on planes. The woman had a monkey and as the flight went along the man got out a cigar and started smoking it. The woman told him to please put it out because it was bothering her monkey, however the man just kept smoking. She asked him two more times to put it out and he told her frankly he did not care because the monkey was making him sick. He told her he would make a deal with her. They would go up to the door of the plane and he would throw the cigar out if she threw the monkey out. So they went up and he threw out the cigar and she threw out the monkey. When they both went back to their seats they looked out the window and say the monkey on the wing and do you know what he was holding. At this point Dave, our group leader, yelled out "A brick." That was pretty funny. Our faith was restored in Forrest's joke telling abilities at this point.

I woke up yesterday morning and jumped out of bed. This was the latest I had slept of all my days in Haiti and I knew we were supposed to leave in the next 15 minutes. I jumped in the shower because I wanted to at least smell half way good on my trip home. I have never felt really clean in Haiti. As soon as you get out of your lovely cold shower (it costs too much to run a hot water heater and when there is no a/c and it is 90 degrees, I am not really sure why you would want to have a hot shower)and before you can get dried off you are sweating and hot again. So after my shower I got dressed. I told Sue and a few people who were up bye and gave them a hug. Then I got my suitcases and headed downstairs.

When I got downstairs Nicole, the young lady adopted from Haiti who came back and is staying the two weeks with Lifetree Adventures, came up and just wrapped me in a big bear hug. It was hard saying good bye to her because we established a good relationship and connection, in part because we understand the dynamic in being adopted. I invited her to come visit sometime when she is back in the States. So after this I grabbed some breakfast, and true to Haitian time we left closer to 7:00 instead of 6:30. While at breakfast one of the ladies was saying that my kids would be excited to see me. However I knew and told her that I expected the opposite. I figured I would "pay" for being gone for a week. I was right but more on that later.

So we loaded up the van and eight of us headed out for the airport. Ron and I were flying back together. The four Kentuckyians had a 10 'o clock flight, but they came with our group. Then there was also Dave who was greeting some people who were coming in and Collins our driver. Heartline has a nice van to pick up passangers. So we all loaded into this and then headed out. However John had told us about a tap tap caught in a car catcher and a big load of dirt that had been dumped right beside it. He did not think the van could get over it, but we thought we would try it. Well the van could not make it over the hill of dirt and the tap tap was not able to get pulled free, so we all unloaded and piled everything into John's truck. This was just so typical Haiti. It was a fun last "adventure" to our trip. As we were going to the airport Karen pointed out that she thought it was funny the first experience some of the people coming in were going to have was going to be John's truck. This is an old beat up what we would call junker. However it still runs good.

We got to the airport and unloaded and literally Ron and I just made it in by the skin of our teeth. Two other people got in line behind us and then they shut the line off. It would of been horrible if we would of missed our flight, because then I would of missed my connection. Ron had agreed to take my black bag on as his personal item so then I only had to pay for one checked bag. This was a huge blessing. So we get checked in and I can not find my visa card to get out of the country. This is the first time ever I have lost mine and I have no clue where it went. I put it in my passport and it is just gone. However the guy was very nice and just told me to keep up with it the next time I was there. I swear he is the same guy who has checked me out on other trips to Haiti. So I go through the security check point and everything is fine so I go off to find a seat for Ron and I. Well there was something in my bag that cause suspicion I guess and so they looked through it. Well I had forgotten that I had put panties in the end of the black bag. The security lady pulled them up and gave Ron a funny look and I hear him yelling "Crystal." I about died laughing and I think he about died of embarassment. It was totally an accident but just one of those funny moments. Finally they let him through and we got ready to board.

In Haiti you have to have your bags checked again before you can get on board. You also are patted down at least twice, and you have to show your passport before you can board. So I had my passport out and then when I got on board I guessed I dropped it out of my hand when I was putting my bags in the overhead compartment and did not realize it. A gentleman picked it up and asked me if it was mine. I was praising God for taking care of me. There have been several instances like that on this trip. Where if God had not been taking care of me I could of had a disaster. It is good to see that He protects me even when my head is not screwed on straight.

After the flight I landed in Ft. Lauderdale and Ron and I got through customs. It was a pretty easy trip through though I was a little anxious because I was bringing back 40 something purses to have a purse party, to help the women of Heartline Ministeries. I will be posting some of them online for purchase for anyone who is interested. However after a quick prayer I slipped through customs easily. Then it was time to wait on my next flight.

I went and checked in and got through security there. I was starving because I had only had a couple of pieces of bread with peanut butter on them for breakfast around 6:30 and it was now almost 2. I spotted a Chili's and decided I was going to eat there. I had some chips and salsa and a hamburger. It was delicious.

After eating I headed over to wait at my gate. A young lady I sat down next to and I started talking. She had been in Haiti for five weeks and when she graduates from college in a year and a half she will be moving back there. It is always good to talk to someone else with a heart from Haiti. At last it was time to board the flight. I had gotten to upgrade to business or first class for the same price practically it was going to cost to check my bags and my bags were free. This was the first time I had ever gotten to fly first class so it was a neat experience. I am not sure it will ever happen again.

I landed in Atlanta and called Rob but he was not there yet so I made my way to baggage claim. I was waiting on my bags when I saw them coming up. S and J both gave me a hug and a kiss, but did not seem overly excited I was home. We got my bags and got to the truck. While Rob was taking the cart back over S asked me if I was going to Haiti again. I said not for a long while because I needed to stay at home and take care of them. His reply that I knew to expect but it still hurt was "Why? Daddy can take care of us, we don't need you." I just about cried from being tired, and exhausted, and just the emotional pain. I honestly was crashing hard from my trip and was tempted to go put my happy butt on a plane back to Haiti and be like fine. However I sucked it up like a big girl and got on with life. They both are doing a lot of button pushing behaviors but I accepted it. Now if I can just survive the next few weeks I should be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment