Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Some reflections on God

This morning I woke up and I literally had a song on my lips. I was singing "Shout to the Lord all the earth let us sing, Power and majesty praise to the King, mountains bow down and the seas will roar at the sound of His name, I sing for joy at the works of His hands, forever I'll love You forever I'll Stand nothing compares to the promise I have in You. This was kinda strange beause I can never remember the words to contemporary Christian songs without the music being played. Even as I type this some of the words seem to escape me. However I knew this song this morning and was just singing. I don't sing well but I was compelled to sing, and so I did. I thought about laying back down and trying to get another hour of sleep, but I just couldn't. I just was thirsty for the Word and anxious to see what God was going to show me.

So I got up and was looking in my back pack for my Bible. As I was doing so I was praying that God would just show me what I needed to do today and that He would open me up to recieving His word. I had planned on starting through a devotional series in the front of my new Bible. Now I do not believe in praying to God and just letting the Bible and reading whereever it opens after pointing to a verse. I think God can work in any way He wants but that our studying and learning of His Word needs to be a little more intentional. Anyway as I settled in to read not really sure where this devotional would take me, I opened up my Bible and it automatically fell to the page where my notes from church on Sunday was. And the words and verses that had not been read but that were on the page seemed to jump up at me. I read "God is our refuge and our strength a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam, though the mountaine tremble at its swelling." (Psalm 46:1-3) I was like wow I was just singing about the mountains bowing down and praising God and then I read that. Then I continued to read through several more of the Psalms just hungry for God's word this morning. The last verses I read were "By awesome deeds you answer us with righteousness, O God of our salvation, the hope of all the ends of the earth and of the farthest seas; the one who by his strength established the mountains, being girded with might; who stills the roaring of the seas, the roaring of their waves, the tumult of the peoples, so that those who dwell at the ends of the earth are in awe at your signs. You make the going out of the morning and the evening to shout for joy." (Psalm 65: 5-8)

Oh our God is so good. Last night we had a down pour here. However this morning sitting outside the land looked just brillant. I was just praying to God that the past of Haiti could be washed away and that people could see the beauty of the place. God is so good to me, that He allowed me to have these precious moments with Him this morning, just praising and fellowshipping with Him. I am just so thankful and priveleged and honored to be able to serve Him, both here in Haiti and when I return home. It reminds me of the saying "God is good all the time, All the time, God is good." Thank you God for this reminder of Your glory and greatness today.

No comments:

Post a Comment